Identity theft is nothing new, but in today's Computer Age, it has grown astronomically.
McAfee, the antivirus software company, released a list back in 2010 of the most dangerous places to give your Social Security number. Many of the places on the list might surprise you:
1. Universities and colleges
2. Banking and financial institutions
4. State governments
5. Local government
6. Federal government
7. Medical businesses (These are businesses that concentrate on services and products for the medical field, such as distributors of diabetes or dialysis supplies, medical billing services, pharmaceutical companies, etc.)
8. Non-profit organizations
9. Technology companies
10. Health insurers and medical offices
The places are ranked based on the number of data breaches involving Social Security numbers from January 2009 to October 2010. What’s most disturbing is that you must disclose your Social Security number if you want to receive services from most of those places (either as required by law or the groups' own policies). Read more at Kiplinger....
Protect your social security number and your identity with IDShield.
Call me at
• Independent Life & Health Insurance Agent
• LegalShield & IDSheld Independent Associate & Director